Pages

Monday, May 7, 2012

A late finish, but still done

I finished it.  After four months of sitting in various states of doneness, I finally sewed the last stitch.  I am ready to mail it off...



Yes, my do. Good stitches quilt from our Empower group from December is completed.  Let's take a walk down memory lane as we finally finish up talking about this one...


 In December, I asked the girls to make me two heart blocks using pink, red, white and one color of their choice.  I left construction of the block completely up to them.  They could choose to do applique, piecing, embroidery, etc.  I told them I wanted this quilt to truly be from us so we should all represent ourselves in our blocks.

And I got back these 18 lovely blocks.  I added my two in and got a layout idea set.  Then, I had to come up with an alternate layout since another Empower lady set her quilt in almost the same arrangement.  So I ordered sashing fabric and waited....and then these poor blocks waited on me.


But, eventually I got them sashed in a tilted style and sewn together.  I used a vintage sheet that I had here at the house to back it and fmq'ed a meandering loop allover the quilt.


I bound it in the black I'd used for sashing to frame it all in.  I thought about using a machine binding technique that Michonne, Shannon and I had talked about before, but in the end, I decided to just go with what I knew this time around.  So, the back of the binding is hand-sewn down.


This baby has been washed and dried and is just waiting on a quick label and then it's off to the post office to be delivered to someone who can use it's warmth and comfort.  I hope they know that all ten of us stitched love into this fabric and it's warmth can be felt both physically and emotionally by it's recipient.

And since it is Monday, I'm linking up with Megan!

6 comments:

  1. What a great quilt! I love how these quilts come together and always look nice even when the blocks are coming from all different people and places. Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The quilt looks fabulous! Love all the individual blocks! Great job =D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats - what a great finish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay, it's done! Your quilt looks great, Kelli! I love the wonky sashing. Did it take a long time to do? It must feel great to get this one boxed up and out the door!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful quilt! I adore all of the hearts. Sure to make someone feel very loved. Smiles~Beth

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you, so let me know...whaddya think!