Pages

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Gifts to give

Well, I finished up the bed caddy yesterday.  They're going to attach it to his bed with velcro strips, so while most bed caddies have a large area that goes under the mattress, mine doesn't.  I glued velcro strips to the back on top and bottom to hold it up.  I really debated the strength of using glue over sewing in the strips, but I ultimately decided that stitching the strips would take away from the front and I would have had to attach them before I put any of the pockets on.  And since it was too late for that...Fabritac it was!  I ended up making 2 big pockets, one for his bible and one can be for a notebook, hidden snack, whatever.  I also added a small pocket for a pencil or pen for said notebook and the top pocket is for his glasses.  I don't know if he'll use that, but I thought it might be a good idea for a 9 year old boy to have a safe place for them. I made little pleats in the bottom of the two big pockets so they'd have more holding capacity but still be tight to the caddy.  I hope it's what my friend was wanting and it gets much use.  And I even have some leftover FSU fabric I can quickly make into hairbows or something to get rid of it...  :)
It is not attached with the velcro here but just sitting on a bench.
 Emma and I had a birthday party to go to this morning, so we decided to make her a little headband as part of the gift.  The kids have been suffering from a lingering stomach bug this week and I haven't had a chance to go shopping, even for groceries, all week.  I think more than anything their little bodies can't fully fight it off because they're exhausted.  We started teeball practice this week and it's an hour or so on Tuesday and Thursday afternoons.  They were so excited and a little nervous about it I think it just wore them out.  Luckily they've got the best coach and team Mom ever!  Haha (The head coach is Chris if you didn't know...)

And back from that tangent to the headband.  We looked up headbands on etsy and tutorials around the web, and Emma decided she liked Jessica's version the best (found here) for her friend.  So, working with felt and headbands we had on hand, this is what I came up with.
This is so perfectly easy and quick!  Great for last minute gift ideas!!
I left off the leaves.  Emma loved it so much I quickly made her a matching one.  Only Emma's is on a blonde colored headband and has pink and purple buttons in the center instead of black.  We also sprayed some temporary hair glitter on hers for some added sparkle.  I didn't get a picture of her wearing it, but maybe I'll make an outfit to match and show it off then.

So that's what I've been up to...  Next up is a trip to JoAnn for some Kona White because I joined a swap and can't wait to get started on my blocks!!!

Here's hoping you have a great long weekend (assuming you have President's Day on Monday, or for my hometown--Rodeo Day yesterday).  The weather is warm and we're going to spend it outside!

1 comment:

I'd love to hear from you, so let me know...whaddya think!