Pages

Monday, April 2, 2012

Perseverance is the key word


I don't know if this happens to anyone else, but do you ever get something set in your mind and then if you have to change it, you lose interest in finishing a project?  What I mean is this, in December I asked my wonderful do.Good Stitches Empower Group ladies to make me lovely heart blocks.  They did and I loved them all!  Seriously, I'm in love with these girls and their sewing skills!  I got the blocks all laid out like I wanted and I was ready to sew them up...but I had to order some sashing fabric first.  While waiting for my fabric to arrive I found that Ronit set her quilt (the October blocks) almost exactly like I was thinking of doing...great minds think alike, I guess.  But now I wanted to come up with a new plan so as not to appear to be a copycat.  And that's where the problem set in....

I quickly chose a different layout with tilted-square sashing.  My fabric arrived.  I layed it all out and liked it.  But I didn't like it like I loved my original idea.  And so this project languished.  It got caught up in the Christmas craziness and then the lack of any sewing mojo to be found...  It sat and collected dust while I finished other projects and tried to find motivation (I mean other than the motivation that my other bee ladies would like to see the quilt produced that they worked hard on and that the January quilt is already done and sent off...)

And then last week I decided that me and the hearts were going to get over ourselves and make a quilt.  So, I cut sashing strips, then cut them at angles and sewed sashing around each heart block.  Then I sewed those blocks together and today I made a quilt top!

Oren took this pic for me this afternoon.  His little arms weren't long enough to hold the quilt open, so we switched places...not bad for a 6-year-old, huh?
I'm going to do some sheet shopping this week to see if I can find one I like for the backing, because I don't need anymore hold up with trying to decide on a backing layout and this is a big quilt.  BUT...if I need to piece one, then I will do so, because I am ready for this baby to provide some comfort.  Both to it's intended recipient and to me for checking it off my to-do list!

So, now that I can see the end in sight with this quilt (other than the basting, quilting, and binding) I get to choose a new block, because I'm up again next month to lead.  I think this time I'll go with something I can lay out and go...  :)

Has this problem ever happened to you and did you persevere and finish or toss it in the UFO basket where it's still quietly hiding?

7 comments:

  1. The quilt looks great! Can't wait to see how you finish it off!
    Yes I have some quilts that need to be done. The piece of wadding I had for one is too small. I thought I could get away with it but now I'm going to cut a fresh piece and use the piece its on now for something else =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the wonky sashing looks great! And yes, there is one quilt that is just sitting and sitting, making me feel guilty every time I start a new project. But, right now I hate it and I'm pretty sure I would subconsciously ruin it if I worked on it. So it will sit in my cabinet until I don't hate it as much. Can't wait to see what you decide to do for next month!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually just finished a quilt top that I finished the blocks for last October! And by "just" I mean this past Saturday. My problem was that the blocks were really scrappy and really busy and I just didn't have a clue how to get it to come together! I finally decided to get sewing and be done. It's actually grouped like the pic of your original idea, except a put a skinny sashing between the grouped blocks; with a slightly wider one separating the groups. I still need to get the batting and backing - I'm thinking the sheet route too. But my goal is to finally have that thing done by Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on finishing up the top!! This is how I felt about my scrappy depression block quilt!!! Every step of putting those blocks into a quilt was a struggle....hang in there - you're almost done!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. YES! Happens to me all the time. There has been a few instances where I wanted to make something new in shop and after all the ingredients and equipment arrived, lost interest completely. Makes me so mad at myself!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your perseverance paid off, very cute quilt top!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a few projects hiding in the ufo basket. :/ But your quilt turned out great after all that. Well worth the wait! :o) Your Easter family pic is adorable, too!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you, so let me know...whaddya think!