I liked the basic style of this dress and how many options there would be to use it as a base. You could change the strap design, add pockets, change the bodice to take out the buttons or add a ruffled area, add the extra tier to make it a maxi, remove the bottom tier to make it a top, etc...
For this dress, I chose an Alexander Henry fabric I had stashed that Chris loves. All of the other versions of this dress on Burda's site used tiny prints or solids, so I wasn't sure, but I figured if Chris liked it that was good enough for me. I cut into it and went for it!
This dress, like the other, had minimal instruction and they did things much differently than I probably would have, but it works. There are a few places I'm unhappy with. I didn't quite get what they wanted me to do attaching the straps and they're a little wonky, and my button placement is a little off. But overall, I am happy with it. Chris really likes it, so that's good.
|I should have turned more, but the back is a racer back-style, but with sharp angles instead of a curved line.|
I haven't made clothing for myself in so long that this spring and summer have been enlightening. I've re-learned a lot about clothing construction (since the old 4-H days) and what fits me and what doesn't. I've learned that a full bust adjustment is a MUST for me and is worth the time to make sure what I'm going to make fits even if the pattern measurements says it will...
|This picture is just for family...Oren acted as my photographer before Chris came out and then he wanted to get in on all of the photo action...|
**Check out "Where I party" under my header to see where I'll be linking this dress up this week. These parties offer so much inspiration, they're a great way to find a new project or 10!**