Pages

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

WIP Wednesday #16


Okay, WIP is gonna be a little different today, because while I'm diligently working and am trying to make progress, I'm still having some tension issues like I mentioned in my last post...

So, who can help me with this??
WHAT IS UP WITH MY THREAD????

I've changed needles, thread, tensions, feet, etc...  I'm not sure why my thread tension is so tight that it's ruining the thread.  I believe it's tight between the first tension disks and where you loop back up to thread the loop that moves up and down when you sew.  I know, I know, technical terms.  But all machines are different and I just know that every machine I've ever sewn on has tension disks and a loop that goes up and down with the needle.

So, who's got suggestions?

Here's how it's looking overall.  If I could get the tension issue worked out, I'd be done.  FMQ came back to me easily enough, but my thread keeps breaking when I get in a good rhythm.  AAAAHHHHH.


On a happier note, I've also made progress on my mitten(s).  I knitted during Emma's dance class this week.  There were 4 parents/grandmas in there.  One Grandma was crocheting, one Mom was hand-sewing.  I was knitting and the lone Dad was on his phone searching the net or something.  Poor guy!  ;)  It did make me laugh though.
 




So, that's my contribution to WIP Wednesday today.  Go over and check out Lee's progress and all the lovely ladies that link up there.  And please, offer any suggestion you've got about my tension.  Because my machine is causing me tension too!! 






10 comments:

  1. Yikes! I had this problem recently & it was suggested to switch to a different KIND of needle, considering the quilting thread I was using. I switched to a 90/14 Sharp vs the 75/11 quilting needle I normally use for piecing. I didn't have trouble after that. Oh I also put a bead of Sewers Aid on my spool of thread every now and then. If all else fails, I'd take the machine in for service. ;-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh how frustrating! I hate when my sewing machine freaks out on me. I've never seen anything like that though. Maybe there's some threads caught down in the bobbin cabin? That always seems to mess mine up. Hope you get it figured out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Argghhh! That looks horrible! I have no idea, I'd get it serviced if you can - try cleaning it all and change the thread and needle? Sorry I can't be more help x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been crocheting during Kaity's dance class and I always get these strange looks from parents (and oh so many questions from the littles cause they've never seen anyone make anything by hand.) I'm the only one who does anything crafty during dance. Must be the difference between big ol' Gville and little ol' Chiefland.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you sort out your machine soon - I'd change the needle (and check you're using a suitable needle type and size and that it's in the right way round) and re-thread the top and bottom (and clean inside the machine!). Oh, and have you tried running the thread between pinched fingers to check it's smooth? A friend of mine had similar issues with a thread and then discovered it was bumpy all along it so maybe try with a different thread and see if you still get the issue. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was going to suggest a different thread, also.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How maddening! I hope it's resolved for you. That's a cool quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok, you know I'm no help on the tension issue, but your mitten looks so cool! Can't knit, but I can crochet just a little so I think you may have inspired me to try it again. Probably just a scarf though, nothing tricky like mittens yet! Wish I could send you some tension relief!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ugh! I realized one time there was a burr on one of my spools of thread. The thread kept breaking and getting stuck on the burr. It was Aurifil and the the orange ends are removable and that solve that problem. Or check for stuck threads inside. (Service it if you don't know how to do that!) What kind of thread is it?

    ReplyDelete
  10. A different thread is my only suggestion - what do you use? I was told never to use Coats and Clark because it has a lot of lint that can catch, and it breaks easily. And if your machine hasn't been in for its yearly check-up/spa day recently, I would do that. Although I should talk - mine hasn't been in in almost three years! I can't deal with being without it for that long! : )

    The mittens look great, though. Thanks for linking up to WIP Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you, so let me know...whaddya think!