Pages

Friday, January 13, 2012

I'm (happily) Seeing Stars


I had some time yesterday to both clean my sewing room and get started on the baby quilt for my friend's new little one.  I cleaned out all of my threads, sewing stuff drawers (like elastic, pins, scissors, etc) and all of the fabric that's on the shelf where it's supposed to be (oh, if only that were at least half of my fabric....) before I couldn't wait any longer and dug into those reds, whites and blues.

I did go with the wonky star block  and decided to use Kona Ash as my background.  Only problem...I didn't have enough!  So, I've got 6 blocks cut and the triangles pieced before I ran out.  I ran to the big city this morning and went to JoAnn to get more, but wouldn't you know, they were out of it.  They did, however, FINALLY have the solid color I need to finish my sister's Christmas quilt back in, so I guess I'll be working on that till the Ash I ordered online this afternoon comes in.

Here's how far I am.  What do you think?  I'm kinda in love with it and might very well make a larger one for me with my leftovers.


I thought about piecing half-square triangles (or even wonky triangles to match the stars) into that open section between each star to make little diamonds, but I'm not sure.  What do you think?  I'm adding one more row to this to make it roughly 3 foot square when finished.  And then I'm considering adding a scrappy border around it to frame it up.  Thoughts...??

I am glad to be coming out of my sewing rut and my machine is glad for it too.  :-)  Have a wonderful weekend!!

5 comments:

  1. Looking good! I'd be tempted to leave the spaces as is & do the scrappy border...IMHO. Very cool & glad you are enjoying sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelli, that looks great! Aren't wonky stars fun to make? I think the scrappy border will be a great finishing touch. Glad you are getting out of your rut! Hope you have a great weekend, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving your stars, Kelli! :o) I need to get out of my rut, too. Maybe if I keep blog surfing, I'll be inspired to get going. I think the scrappy border will look great with the wonky stars!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The scrappy stars are so cute! I love them. A scrappy border would look great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love those cute wonky stars! They sort of look like they are twinkling!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you, so let me know...whaddya think!