Pages

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Inspiration


It's slow-going with the sewing room cleanup, both because I'm doing it in my spare time while also purging the rest of the house and because I've had a major sewing block and haven't been motivated to get it done.  I think one reason for the block is the state of my sewing room, but  I need a project to encourage me to get past that so I can get the room cleaned and get to making it messy again with new projects!

I found my inspiration to do so...A sweet friend of mine had a baby right before Christmas and I decided on my color palette for little Miss Daisy's quilt.   Let me give you some back story.  In my late teens and early twenties, I worked as a staff member at a 4-H summer camp.  I life-guarded, taught archery, arts and crafts, canoeing, etc.  Each year there would be 6 or 7 of us on staff that worked together at this camp, and there were always a couple of Brits that would come over to work with us through a camp exchange program.  For two summers, I worked with a lovely girl named Kirsten who has become like a member of our family.  Her parents would come over for a few weeks each summer and we got to know her family so well.  In fact, Kirsten was at my wedding and she and her sister flew over for my sister's wedding.  Chris and I have already discussed with them that when we (one day) visit England we will be visiting them and Kirsten's husband is going to take Chris to a football (that's soccer for us) match.  :)

So, when Emma was born, Kirsten and her family sent over the cutest little Union Jack top and pajamas for Em.  So naturally, when I'm making something to return, it's got to have a USA lean to it, right?

I can't hardly remember Emma being this small!  This is Em at almost 3 months old.  She'll be 8 this June.

So, I went through my stash and chose some reds, whites, and blues to make little Miss Daisy a baby quilt.  I haven't yet decided on a pattern, but I'm leaning toward wonky stars like I did for the Christmas Scraps Block Swap.  I think they're fun to make, look awesome, and give a little more of that US oomph to it.


Alright, I'm off to do some more straightening before I start cutting.  We'll see how long that lasts...

4 comments:

  1. Good luck with that! Whenever I choose a new project, I can concentrate on nothing else until I've cut it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think wonky stars sound like a great idea! You're right, it does add a bit more of that patriotic flair. How fun that you two have stayed in touch for so long. Sounds like a very special friendship and I'm sure she and Miss Daisy will adore the quilt! Very sweet pic of Emma, too. Crazy how fast they grow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. She will love it!! Can't hardly remember Em being that small!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you, so let me know...whaddya think!