Pages

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

WIP Wednesday (first of the year)

It is a quiet and very rainy day here at my house.  Too bad the kids had an early-release school-day today or I could have spent most of the day sewing.  Oh well, here's to getting done in the time you have to get it done in!

I'm back to join in on WIP Wednesday again with Lee at Freshly Pieced.  Between Lee taking a break from hosting it and me having some serious sewing block, it's my first time joining in what seems like a LONG time.  So with no further ado, let's jump in!


Completed Projects
  Well, this is my first WIP post of the year, so as for completed projects, I'm just going to go with what I've finished this year and not since the last WIP post (can't even remember when that was...)

Knitted Scarf--I FINALLY finished it!  I made this bad boy extra long even when I wanted to bind off and start something new.  It's for a very good friend going through a rough time right now and I am hoping to give it to her one day this week.  After it's delivered to it's new home I'll show it to you in more detail.




do. Good Stitches blocks--I finished up my blocks for December this past weekend and am playing around with quilt layouts today.  I also spent some time this morning working on my January blocks.  Heather asked for what she's calling "Blossom Blocks" in a color story of purples, pinks, grays and golds.  Here's her example block:



And here's mine:


I obviously still need to trim some threads and square up the blocks. 


In progress
do. good quilt--As I said, I'm working on laying this quilt out and deciding on a sashing color.  If you remember, I've got two choices:  black or purple.  I was thinking black, Chris suggested purple.  Hey, I'm open to suggestions, so I gave it a try...and the purple I had in stash was all wrong.  So, black it is.  Chris thought black would be a safer choice.  I said how many quilts have you ever seen that had black sashing?  Black is not a safe choice for me, but rather bold.  I'm thinking I love it though.  I didn't have enough black for the way I want to set the quilt, though (story of my life lately), so I'm off to find some more Kona Black.  I ran by my LQS today (I never go there) and they don't carry ANY Kona Solids.  Yep, you heard me right.  LOTS and LOTS of blender fabrics and batiks, but no Kona, Moda or Free Spirit Solids....

Kirsten's quilt--This quilt brought me back from the sewing doldrums where I was stuck with no real desire to turn on the machine even though I've got about 10 projects needing me right now.  I'm waiting on a delivery of some more Kona Ash to finish up, but I really love this one.

Carrie's Gift--I promised my sister a special gift for her living room for Christmas and ran out of the solid I needed and JoAnn's was out.  I got some last week and have a little cutting and sewing to do before I wrap this one up and can show it off.  Better late than never, right?

Free Motion Quilting Project--I'm participating in SewCalGal's FMQ project.  She's got January's post up and running and a whole bunch of people have already completed it and linked up, but I'm getting there.  So far, I've read the post...Well, it gives me something to do this weekend.  ;)

On Hold (for now...)
Summer Sampler Quilt (I will have this finished before summer starts again)
Postage Stamp Quilt (I thought about this one over the Christmas break and have some ideas to mix it up a little, just waiting on time to get to it...)
Mosaic Swap Quilt (The top is halfway pieced)


WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced

As always, go over and visit Lee and see what amazing things she's been up to as well as all of the great bloggers that link up each week.  I promise you won't be sorry!

7 comments:

  1. I love that you had trailing threads! I am totally guilty of posting mine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have made 2 quilts with black sashing - it's when I go for white that things always seem to backfire! Bummer about your LQS, though; I remember having that problem March of 2 years ago when I made my first quilt, but my favorite quilt store has started carrying them since. I used to get all my solids at Hancock's or Hobby Lobby: both are big chains out here, and the good news is they're like $4-6 a yard when you get them that way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Always better late than never. ;) Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. very cool blossom blocks!
    and NO Kona at your lcq? so sad......glad you made a decision though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love love love the scarf!! The blocks look fantastic :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your bee block and scarf! Hope you find some Kona black soon!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you, so let me know...whaddya think!