|Apple Cider Doughnut Muffins via My Baking Addiction|
|Salted Caramel Pumpkin Blondies via Baked Bree|
2. To counteract the baking, I've signed up for 2 fitness challenges. Tina is hosting a plank challenge to strengthen our core muscles. I have like little to no core strength and a bad back to show for it, so I'm in. It just started this week, so definitely jump in if you're interested. On Mondays you hold a plank position as long as you can to get an initial time. I got 75 seconds before my back started literally popping. Then on Wednesdays she posts a core workout involving planks that takes 10 minutes or less. Yesterday's was difficult by not quit-worthy impossible. Then on Friday, we'll hold a plank position again to get our new time. Most people have set their goal in 4 weeks to double their time--I'm going to try and push myself harder and get to 3 minutes. Things like this are often as mental as they are physical and I really need to start pushing myself harder mentally. I want to give up way too easily when it comes to exercise.
The second fitness challenge is from Monica. To encourage us to pile on the miles instead of pounds this holiday season she is hosting a challenge. Pile on the Miles 2012 is a chance to sign up to commit to run your choice of miles in November. There are prizes for those that do participate. As I'm still half-marathon training and starting to get into real training time, I've committed to running 60 miles in November. I can easily do that and would like to do more, but I didn't want to over commit because I'm not sure how busy we'll be yet. You have to sign up for this one by October 31. I encourage you to do this, even if it's only 10 miles. Even if you're walking. Any exercise is better than none!!
3. I've got my dGs quilt basted and ready to quilt. I think I'm going to go with random straight lines across it, BUT...I might go with a diagonal cross hatch instead. I was leaning toward the random but with the symmetrical and very orderly design of the quilt top, I'm not sure if random will take away or add to it...
4. Oren's got a field trip to the local "pumpkin patch" tomorrow. And by pumpkin patch I mean the Methodist Church who sells them under a tent. It's a long walk from the school, but they did it in pre-k too, so I'm counting that as my mileage for tomorrow. ;)
5. We're trick-or-treating Saturday night with good friends at the local carnival. House to house trick-or-treating around here isn't big and the city decided to do it Friday night this year instead of Saturday (no, we never do it on actual Halloween here and especially not on a Wednesday night--people gotta get to church! Yes, this is the rural south.) I'm trying to convince Emma that her store-bought Merida costume is enough and we don't need the wig. I bought some red hair spraypaint and I want to just curl it or braid it wet and let it be wavy...
6. It is such a dreary day here today I just want to put my yoga pants on and curl up in bed with a good book. Unfortunately it looks like some sort of kitchen monster threw up in my kitchen so I'm going to spend some time in there.
7. I started a new sweater last night! I'm knitting the February Lady Sweater in a mustard yellow. I've never done a sweater before so I am excited. Well, that's not exactly true. I started a sweater last year and got the collar done before giving up on it... BUT, I'm determined to see this one through! It's so pretty! Here's Pamela's:
So, there's a whole bunch of randomness for you...